January is the month for self-help books. “It’s February now!” I hear you cry, “we don’t have to bother with any of that New Year’s Resolution stuff! ” but indulge me a while. Firstly, I read this in January and more importantly, as we all suspect, the first month of the year is not the best for lasting, positive change. On a recent health-check a very astute nurse said weight-loss plans are probably not best begun at this time of year when there are unopened Christmas treats lurking and that three quarters full bottle of Baileys calling out to you on the cold January nights so I’m pleased to tell you that Christopher Bradbury’s inspiring self-help book is not just for January and that Magnificent You can be unleashed the whole year round!
There’s no doubt the author’s an optimist- just look at that cover promising us a “Gazillion ways to turbocharge your life”. I didn’t count up to verify but certainly any of even the smallest changes suggested has the potential to transform lives.
What is provided here is an overview in short snappy chapters full of pearls of wisdom. There’s little new in the world of self-help, the reason why some succeed more than others is the way in which help is presented and how it is taken on board by the individual. I like this general overview approach. It starts by getting the reader to examine personal values, identifying the most important for you as an individual and encouraging thought on ways to stick to them. Potential is unleashed when these values are combined with your vision and Christopher Bradbury is on hand to help with this.
He does so in 60 sections and 380 (in the hardback edition) motivational pages. He suggests we can pick and choose the sections which feel most appropriate- I’d say don’t do that, find time to read the whole thing. I’m not a parent so I might have decided to skip the parenting section, for example, but there’s so much good advice therein which I could apply to other situations that I would be missing out.
I made notes and I’m glad I did as I now have a little personalised handbook on areas such as kindness and compassion, fear, flexibility, thoughts and emotions, worry, gratitude – the list goes on. He’s practical as well and there’s the odd good statistic to back things up, which makes me happy. Here are my Top 3:
Only 10% of what we worry about actually happens- therefore 90% is wasted energy.
Only 3% of people write down their goals and these people achieve 5-10 times as much as the other 97%
And one to stop you in your tracks:
The average smartphone user checks their phone 63 times a day, 70% within 5 minutes of waking up.
I also want to add a couple of sayings to help with everyday life. Take a bow the one beloved by “Love Island” participants, “It is what it is”- but then it really is and taking this on board would remove much stress over what you cannot control and slightly cheesy but none the less effective for that is “Yesterday is history and tomorrow is a mystery. But today is a gift, so enjoy it before its gone.”
There will inevitably be moments when the author’s whistlestop tour approach will have you wanting more detail and I for one would welcome a bibliography or further reading suggestions linked to the areas raised but he does always provide enough information to start you well onto your road for change.
As a general self-help book this is strong and the emphasis and linking to personal core values (if you only do one exercise make sure it is the one that starts the book which encourages you to identify these) makes it stronger and seem more relevant. Go on, get that Magnificent You unleashed!
Unleash The Magnificent You is published by Lightning Source and is available to purchase on Amazon. Many thanks to the author for the opportunity to read and review this book.